Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Picking a Path: Questions I ask Myself

This site gives me direction.

Truth is, I don't want to wander aimlessly through life. Sure, I want to have tons of adventures and be spontaneous, but is there a certain place in life that I would like to be when I am 30, 40, 50, 60, 80? Do I want kids? What kind of life do I want to provide for them?

What lifestyle do I want?
In what way do I want to make an impact? Policy changes? creating awareness? changes in the lives of individuals with whom I work closely? what is more important to me, great changes in the lives of few, or smaller but more widespread changes in the lives of many?

What do you want for my community?

What do I want to be able to contribute to my community? What do I want from my community?


A ROUUUUGH DRAFT:
When I am 30 I want
to have my undergraduate loans paid off
to be running 3 miles at least 3 times a week
to have a masters degree
to have 2 or 3 stamps on my passport
to have a garden and can my own vegetables
to mentor/befriend younger women or girls through an organization
to have a job that has good benefits and hours
to have a dog that I have trained well
to have a nest egg of 15 or 20 grand
to have a group of girlfriends I spend time with on a weekly basis

When I am 40 I want
to have a best friend and life partner
to have (already) at least 1 child
to attend all my kid's functions
to still have my own functions to attend
to have a nest egg of 50 grand
to be an active participant in community meetings

When I am 50 I want
to have my graduate loans paid off
to still be hiking and biking
to organize community activities

When I am 60 I want
to have a house in the hills
to brew my own beer
to have a dog, and not a tiny one either

When I am 70 I want 
to be retired and volunteering
to still be kind
to have lots of good stories
to still ride my bike or go on walks or swim
to have a tree that I planted years ago be really big

Hilarious
"To age with someone is to bond with them. It's cool."

1 comment:

  1. Goals are good. They give direction. You are an inspiration! <3

    ReplyDelete