Monday, November 21, 2011

Harmony in Heartache and Happiness

So I was thinking about what my intention is when I read God's word. Is it to understand myself better, to understand others better, or to understand God better? Truthfully it is probably all of the above, but I don't want to primarily seek to understand the nature of man because I know that we are so fickle and ever changing. I want to know God, and through knowing Him and His character I will better understand myself and my fellow human beings, because we are made in His image. We crave relationship because we were made to need it like God has it, and so it is good. God is always in perfect and full and completely and utterly intimate relationship with Himself, like in the Shack :) Papa, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit (whatever, I don't remember what they call it in the book). I also realize that another person can never fully meet my need for an intimate relationship, because they too are looking to get something from the relationship. We never have perfect "communion" with each other as people because we are blocked from each other by our fears and our innate need to have our (emotional) needs met, rather than always seeking to understand and support the other. That being said, I look forward to the day when I meet my Father in heaven and I can feel His presence (love) in every dimension of my being. And I am so thankful for all the ways that He lets me experience Him now. At this moment I am thankful that His promises give me joy that surpasses my circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment