Sunday, December 25, 2011

"I'm not much for the show."

I think I just realized why I am diametrically opposed to fancy showy things in a home. I think it is because my mother focused so much on having nice things and appearing to be well off, like it made us better people. She also put a lot of emphasis on appearing to be good when the rest of our family or friends were around. Now I associate nice shows of wealth as trying to get other people to think that you are better than them. I take this disdain too far by not valuing keeping my room straightened up and etc. I like things to be clean because that is healthy and respectful, but keeping things neat feels unneeded and aggravates me. My stepmom asked me to set the table just now, which I happily did. Then she realized that there were a few crumbs on the table cloth and said, "Oh, maybe we should have shook the table cloth off first." I said that it would be fine, and my dad, overhearing the conversation, said that he would take the table cloth outside and shake it. This annoyed me because the table which I had just set was now being unset, and why in the world does it matter at all if there are crumbs on the table cloth. Get real. At least the  obnoxious gold rimmed saucers are not being brought out. Those goddy things make me want to eat off the floor. I understand that shaking off the table cloth is a fine thing to do; it was technically dirty. I suppose it also annoys me because I said it was fine and that decision wasn't good enough. But also, I have seen so many one-uppings in this house that I am overly sensitive to it, creating offenses where there really are none. I do think that today will be a nice day, but I had to get this out before it went any further in me head. Family time shapes me to be a better person by forcing me to overcome the worst in me. Garr, just chill Lara. chee. 

Of course not all of this is to blame on my mother, it is my choice how I respond to the different stimuli in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment