Thursday, January 26, 2012

my days

I haven't been feeling like blogging much lately, but I think that is because I have gotten back into my life.  I don't need to write about it so much as live it, experience it. But writing is how I process, and so every once and a while it is good for me to take a step back and evaluate things.

Today our school had a "26 seconds" rally. Every 26 seconds a student drops out of high school (according to a statistic somewhere). Our rally today was to fight that statistic by encouraging students to stay in school through live performances of inspirational rap songs (done by another high school from Minnesota) and through giving away of prizes. I don't know how that is supposed to work...It seems pretty disconnected from what school is really like and the real reasons to stay in school. I suppose it creates awareness though, and that might serve a purpose. Anyway, I bring this up because one of my favorite students has told me multiple time this semester that he is going to drop out; he is only coming to school now because "the law is making him." He also told me in his "mathography"that he is in a gang and he has so much hate in his life that he just doesn't care about anything. I stood behind him for most of the rally today because he was sitting with all the behavior problem boys and so teacher presence was needed. He is such a sweet heart and has the potential to go so far in life. I want to give him hope and help him see that his future can have happiness.

On a different note, a kid who never participates, who often crumples up and throws his papers out of defiance and refusal to do work, sat quietly in class today while taking notes and raised his hand to answer questions. *AMAZING* This kid hits on me all the time, it makes me nervous and annoyed, but I think I am good at hiding it. If he knew it bothered me it would get even worse. He came up and sat by me for the 5 minutes I sat down. Once he sat I got up after a short discussion with him. He plopped down behind me and said "Hi Miss Heiberger." I turned around and smiled and said hi, then turned back around. Then I turned to face him again and told him that I noticed he took notes and stayed on task today. He nodded like he got that I was pleased and then went on to tell me about how a teacher "tried" to take his hat from him. This all took place in about a 3 minute period. Then I left my stuff where I was sitting but got up to go stand behind the bad behavior boys where my friend Mary was standing. I couldn't take anymore of flirty kid, although I was thankful for the opportunity to let him know that his good deeds hadn't gone unnoticed. Although that comment might backfire tomorrow. Then again, it probably won't be any worse than it was.

One of my bad behavior girls last semester now comes to visit me in the mornings and at lunch and shouted out hello to me today as I was finding my place the assembly. That made me feel nice <3 :).



---------------
February 1, 2012 (a leap year!!!)

P.S. Telling that kid that I noticed didn't backfire :). It helped :):):).




1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed hearing the type of thoughts you had while participating in this event. The "Genuine" concern and interaction you are giving, will probably be the best aid to give him and any others hope.

    ReplyDelete